Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Lentil stew & Chapati recipe

Whats for dinner?

Do you ever open the fridge door or the pantry to find "things in there", yet there is nothing to cook.

There are so many easy meals to be made from using just a few ingredients which are often already waiting for you in the pantry; all you need is a little time and imagination.

Meals made easy, simple, with no-fuss and no guilt is what I love!
I pack my creations with flavours that seem to transport me to a faraway destination.
This meal takes me right back to India. I hope you enjoy! :)

Red lentil Stew with Chapati’s
Serves 2
Lentils are high in Protein, Fiber and Potassium and are a good source of iron. Lentil seeds also contain considerable amounts of vitamin A, vitamin C and beta carotene.

3/4 cup red lentils , washed and drained
2 cups of filtered water
1 large garlic clove
1 chopped onion  
4cm fresh Turmeric
4cm fresh Ginger
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
1 cup chopped pumpkin
1 cup of broccoli

Rinse and drain 3/4 cup of red lentils
Heat oil in a pan, brown the onion and add lentils

Add turmeric, ginger, garlic, mustard seeds, cumin and stir together on a medium heat for 2 minutes

Add the water and pumpkin and bring to a simmer and cover. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 10-15 minutes.



I like to put the broccoli in at the very last minute to keep its crunch. 


Chapati Ingredients :

Wholemeal Flour - 1 Cup, plus extra flour for rolling chapati’s
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoon oil
1/4 cup milk or water  more or less


Pour flour in a bowl


Make a well in the middle of the flour, add salt.


Add small amounts of milk or yogurt and the oil (I used homemade almond milk) and make a soft dough.


Shape dough into small balls
Roll out on a floured board
Heat a pan (don’t add any oil to the pan as it needs to be dry) and cook them on both sides
I like to drizzle olive oil over my cooked chapati's



Peace n Love
Jeanette 












2 comments:

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Please feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to get back to you as quickly as I can.

Peace n Love